Sports Show Motorcycles & Scooters

That's way cool, John.

Mine is actually a big-wheel motorcycle-style scooter, as are all the Scarabeos; I'm pretty sure it's the first one Aprilia outsourced the production on to China, to keep costs down so as to be competitive in the market segment: it's a 200cc scooter (actually only 181cc displacement) but surprisingly (to me at least) it will cruise on the freeway at 65mph and even higher. I love the tiger stripes too!

I live in southern Oregon but traveled up to Seattle to buy this one, from a very cool motorcycle dealer who specializes in larger Italian bikes, Moto Guzzis and Aprilias mainly, but who had acquired some leftover unsold 2009 models which they were selling at sweetly reduced prices. It's the largest scooter I've ever ridden; my other scooter is somewhat of a classic, a 1986 Honda Elite which looks like something out of the old TV animated scifi series, the Jetsons. But Aprilias are really nicely designed and well engineered - and (knock on wood) mine's run like a top from Day 1.

Nice! Love the tiger stripes!

And my middle name is Michael and I own an Aprilia too!

Mine is actually a big-wheel motorcycle-style scooter, as are all the Scarabeos; I'm pretty sure it's the first one Aprilia outsourced the production on to China, to keep costs down so as to be competitive in the market segment: it's a 200cc scooter (actually only 181cc displacement) but surprisingly (to me at least) it will cruise on the freeway at 65mph and even higher. I love the tiger stripes too!

I live in southern Oregon but traveled up to Seattle to buy this one, from a very cool motorcycle dealer who specializes in larger Italian bikes, Moto Guzzis and Aprilias mainly, but who had acquired some leftover unsold 2009 models which they were selling at sweetly reduced prices. It's the largest scooter I've ever ridden; my other scooter is somewhat of a classic, a 1986 Honda Elite which looks like something out of the old TV animated scifi series, the Jetsons. But Aprilias are really nicely designed and well engineered - and (knock on wood) mine's run like a top from Day 1.

I know the Honda Elites-very 80s! It kind of looks like what people from the early 80s thought the future might look like, all angular and stuff.

Years ago I tested a Piaggio BV500, which I think is a cousin to your Scarabeo (Piaggio is Aprilia's parent company):

483294982_3693033796_b.jpg

Scooter: Piaggio BV500
by john m flores, on Flickr

I even did a multi-day tour with it. Bigger-wheeled scooters are quite capable these days.

So, John, if I wanted to read your review of the Scout, where exactly would I do that?

I'm working on it now. It probably won't be out until the March 2014 issue of RoadRUNNER Magazine. But in a nutshell:

1. Probably the most badass-looking production bike I've ridden. People came by to chat about the bike nearly every time I stopped. You have to wear leather with this bike and put on the coolest scowl you can whenever riding this bike.
2. Fine, fine motor. Very good torque, free revving for a big v-twin, good power up top.
3. Fit and finish high. Good attention to detail in design. Just a few minor weak spots, i.e., digital tach small and hard to read, front turn signals are budget items, when gas is really low, engine will die even though there's still gas in tank, etc...
4. Handling solid, predictable, limited by ground clearance of footpegs
5. Brakes just ok. Front requires 3 fingers for good power/control. Rear can lock but easily modulated.
6. Suspension typical cruiser-not enough travel. Square bumps will bounce you out of seat if going quickly.

Overall, it's a highly desirable bike. I took it out of it's normal mode of use-on a long multi-day tour-and found its edges. But if you like this kind of ride and are familiar with the genre's limitations, it's definitely worth considering. Personally, I'd love to see this motor in a cafe racer with dual disks up front.

Who is making Indian's motors these days? I recall an unsuccessful re-launch some years back, and now I see someone else appearing to make a go of that old name. Are they making their own motors?!

Indian is in a much better position now as a subsidiary of Polaris, which is about the same size as Harley-Davidson. IIRC, Polaris/Indian makes their own engines. I would love to see the old Indian-Harley rivalry come back in 21st century form.

Overall, it's a highly desirable bike. I took it out of it's normal mode of use-on a long multi-day tour-and found its edges. But if you like this kind of ride and are familiar with the genre's limitations, it's definitely worth considering. Personally, I'd love to see this motor in a cafe racer with dual disks up front.

I currently ride a Road King, so this will seem like a sports bike.

OOOOH.. Polaris is making the guts. Ok. That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, this is the first time that Indian has some serious capital and engineering muscle behind it. They won't go down in a puff of smoke this time, they just need to expand their product line and dealer network appropriately.

The way the Scout has been described to me is that it's a V-Rod motor in a Sportster frame with an addition 50-75 pounds removed. It's a credible competitor to both of those bikes.

"'Faster,' she whispers in my ear. 

Startled, I roll off the throttle.

'Faster,' she says again.

Confused, I check my three, my six, and my nine.

Nothing. Am I hearing things? 

There is no “she” with me.

I am alone, on my motorcycle.

'Faster...' she says a third time, her throaty exhortation tailing off to an implied 'or else!'

A little spooked, I accelerate hard and try to outrun the strange disembodied voice, riding a wave a torque as I rocket out of the city on the first rays of a new day.

'Yes. Yes! YES!' she responds. 
The New York City skyline gets smaller in my mirrors."

This is a bit of shameless self promotion so I understand if the mod remove it. But I just wanted to announce that I'm writing a new series of motorcycle short stories, the first involving a journey with the 2014 BMW nineT. It was recently published in BMW Motorcycle Owners of America's monthly pub "BMW Owner News" and the iPad version is available here. It's free from 10 Nov 2014 to 16 Nov 2014 so download your free copy today.

‎ESCAPE 01

Photos for the ebook were taken with the Pentax K-3 with DA* 16-50 F2.8, Pentax K-01 with DA70 F2.4 Limited (cover shot), and Pentax Q with 03 Fish Eye.

15755745231_491462b3f2_z.jpg

Escape: New York to Northampton on a BMW nineT

I've always had a soft spot for anything honda wedges those v-fours into. The anniversary livery edition, that was red white and blue, got me especially. Always wanted to borrow one for an afternoon and see how it feels.

It may be shameless self-promotion but in this case - because of both the words (which are way cool) - the photo/photos/photographs - including the one on the cover!!! - and the byline ("by John M Flores") - it's worthy of being not only promoted and 'pimped' but also read and savored.

Congratulations, John! and thanks for sharing the link.

"'Faster,' she whispers in my ear. 

Startled, I roll off the throttle.

'Faster,' she says again.

Confused, I check my three, my six, and my nine.

Nothing. Am I hearing things? 

There is no “she” with me.

I am alone, on my motorcycle.

'Faster...' she says a third time, her throaty exhortation tailing off to an implied 'or else!'

A little spooked, I accelerate hard and try to outrun the strange disembodied voice, riding a wave a torque as I rocket out of the city on the first rays of a new day.

'Yes. Yes! YES!' she responds. 
The New York City skyline gets smaller in my mirrors."

This is a bit of shameless self promotion so I understand if the mod remove it. But I just wanted to announce that I'm writing a new series of motorcycle short stories, the first involving a journey with the 2014 BMW nineT. It was recently published in BMW Motorcycle Owners of America's monthly pub "BMW Owner News" and the iPad version is available here. It's free from 10 Nov 2014 to 16 Nov 2014 so download your free copy today.

‎ESCAPE 01

Photos for the ebook were taken with the Pentax K-3 with DA* 16-50 F2.8, Pentax K-01 with DA70 F2.4 Limited (cover shot), and Pentax Q with 03 Fish Eye.

15755745231_491462b3f2_z.jpg

Escape: New York to Northampton on a BMW nineT

India is very much a scooter/motorcycle country. HD just aimed a bike (the Street) right at them and are making it there. I was always amazed but the literal shade tree mechanics with set up with tires aging on branches and a collection of parts scattered on the ground. I've always had great admiration for that level of everyday innovation.

Back