Music The Amazing Emporium of Wondrous Tunes (aka: What are you listening to?)

I'm wearing my MC5 t-shirt to work and stop at the grocery store to grab a diet root beer to wet my whistle. A young girl in her early 20s is working the cash register and rings up my sale and asks for $.84 and then looks at my shirt and asks me if I am ready to "Kick Out the Jams". Maybe there is hope for the youth. For those who have never experienced the Motor City 5, I highly suggest you listen to their debut LP at maximum volume for full impact, but this clip should give you a taste of the excitement and the full-on sonic assault of the MC5. They were ahead of their time.

I haven't seen this thread in forever, but Luke's MC5 link got me thinking about one of my favorite alt bands from 90s, The Presidents of the United States of America. Greatly underappreciated imo. So here are a few links. First is their version of Kick Out the Jams, then Peaches (my fave song of theirs) and Kitty (in honor of the ubiquitous cat pic). Finally is a kids song - Free Like a Bird - that was my daughter's favorite tune when she was 5 or 6. The original bass player from POTUS recorded it under the name Caspar Babypants.

Neil Young - a true artist

PsOTUSA: hadn't heard of them before, but thanks for introducing me to them! I can see why youtube lists the bloodhound gang, tenacious D and the offspring as related vids! As a kid who grew up in the 90s and has a disposition to rock music, I love it! Kick out the jams has a nice bass line by the way.

Robyn Hitchcock: another artist I'd never heard of. The song reminds me somewhat of Lou Reed's Perfect Day, am I alone in that?

Most rock and adult contemporary radio stations in the U.S. overplayed Elvis Presley's "Blue Christmas" every year for 30 or even 40 years. This haunting tune is much better IMHO and should have gotten more airplay.

all I've been playing for the last couple weeks has been honky-tonk music. This is my fave of the day (although the sound on this video clip is nearly unlistenable) ....

This sounds great on the v-moda LP (would not be so good on a hi-fi headphone).

Ofra Haza:

Miriam Makeba:

Unfortunately I couldn't find the a capella songs of South Africa Miriam Makeba did with Hugh Masakela - youtube is so bad with some artists.

Back