Nikon Nikon launches a competitor to the Canon G11 and Panasonic LX5

Nikon launches the Coolpix P7000.

ii_102.jpg

dpreview of course gets to do a hands-on d'preview. Note the head-to-head comparison on the second page. The P7000 looks like an obvious clone of the G11, and the LX5 looks forlorn and out of place. (Though it probably towers over the G95.)

And if Bob Krist's pix are any indication, this will be serious competition.
BK_FourCorners1386-610x481.jpg

I downloaded some P7000 sample images from dpreview and the jpeg processing (at low iso) is the best I've ever seen from any compact! Anyhow, if I have to spend about $500 on buying a bulky compact, I'd rather buy the Olympus EPL-1 (now selling for under $500) which is in a different league all together.

Looks orrible!:D

Agreed. But that's Nikon's signature, and always has been. Kind of an ugly-chique thing.

My old Nikon film rangefinder was -way- ugly compared to the sleek Olympus XA it replaced, but it was a better photo machine. And my first digital camera, a CoolPix 5000 superzoom from the beginning of this decade, was hands-down the ugliest camera I've ever owned.

But look at the sample images. The Canon G12 is going to have to be pretty special to beat this IQ.

I'm putting my fingers in my ears...:tongue: Just kidding as I see it is in Spanish and I am far from anything remotely fluent, however I shall look at the photos. I know we have a number of members here who are multilingual who will be very happy for your link Mayank. Thank you!

This looks very solid and I hope that optical viewfinder is good. It's great to see this genre getting stronger. With improving cell phone cameras at one end and cheap DSLRs at the other, I'm glad companies like Ricoh, Nikon, Canon, Samsung, and Panasonic have remained in the game.

Someone said that Nikon Rangefinders were ugly!

1439442286_9890436c26_z.jpg

I like mine.

It looks like the top deck of the P7000 uses the "cruiser" styling of the original Nikon RF's.

Think the P7000 will come in chrome as well?

1465385308_241aa756fa_z.jpg

Yes, reviews of P7000 are positive by and large but people (on DPreview forums) have been complaining about slow write times while shooting raw. 3 second write time while shooting raw on a class 6 SD card is quite slow, I do tend to agree.

Back