Bang for the Buck: Sony NEX-3 and Fotasy 35mm f/1.7

By Chad Wadsworth

Let me start with an admission - I am obsessed with the combination of small camera size, high quality and low price. I have a feeling that I am not alone as witnessed by the NEX, Panasonic GF3 and the smaller Olympus E-P models. In-fact, the Olympus E-PL3 samples heavily from the NEX formula with a compact size, tilt LCD and minimal physical controls. The trend is clearly towards higher image quality in a smaller package. But which of these new packages gives the best image quality for the lowest cost? I’m not sure if I can answer that question but have discovered one low cost combo that has surprisingly dished out more fun per dollar than should be allowed.

5910429711_5aea62cdfc_z.jpg

When the Sony NEX system launched it set a new standard for a large sensor, small camera body with interchangeable lenses - but some seasoned photographers initially stayed away due to controls that catered to the novice and a poor selection of auto focus system lenses. Personally, the NEX wasn’t even on my radar. But after a firmware update vastly improved access to exposure controls and a respected friend raved about how great it was to view and focus on the gorgeous Sony LCD, similar to how one would use a classic film Twin Lens Reflex camera at waist level, I bit.

5910430055_b0345fa967_b.jpg

5910431173_bb9089cfa6_b.jpg

While suffering the interminable wait of the X100 launch, I decided to give the NEX a try and purchased a NEX 3 (body only) on eBay for $300. A friend let me borrow an M adapter so that I could use the Voigtlander and Minolta Rokkor lenses I already own. The results were, to my eye, amazing for such a small combination and this quickly became my go to setup for fun, casual shooting.

5911738257_32e2f0f635_b.jpg

5910986322_70df3cee29_b.jpg

5910430493_7ae087a2a9_b.jpg

But when factoring in the original cost of the lenses, the combination was still too much money for my ultimate goal of best bang for the buck – not everyone has a stash of legacy glass so I was looking for a low cost auto focus lens or manual focus lens and adapter that was commercially available to anyone. Then, I spotted the SLR Magic 35mm 1.7 C mount lens on various forums, and for $43 on eBay, hit the “Buy It Now” button on what appeared to be an SLR Magic knockoff called “Fotasy”.

5910430331_636a419454_b.jpg

5910986688_658e20a74a_b.jpg

5910430415_ea8b577c9b_b.jpg

When the lens (with included adapter) arrived I had rock bottom expectations. I knew what I was getting into – the equivalent of a digital Holga with mushy edges and heavy vignetting for that dreamy toy camera look that lately can be found in some in-camera presets or as a filter in editing software. What I ended up seeing in the initial images was certainly some of what I expected but also a pleasant surprise at the center sharpness and overall signature of the lens. Out of camera, the lens renders a scene that looks better than any of those “Toy Camera” effects that the software solutions provide. Stopped down, the vignetting becomes less extreme and the lens takes on a wholly different character. It is not a look for everyone but for me offers the extreme low-cost, large sensor, small camera trinity.

5910430561_4a2b635ffb_b.jpg

5910431423_6a1448e5db_b.jpg

5910429833_7d82a5c0ef_b.jpg

5910987700_7bbf01e7d9_b.jpg

5910986618_e226160552_b.jpg

5910986370_dbc7f0ece8_b.jpg

For someone on a tight budget, the results you can pull out of this $343 combination are truly remarkable as long as you concede that the lens has its faults and make no excuses for them. There is something liberating about shooting with this budget setup – I’m not worried about bumping or scratching the components and it is small enough to go just about anywhere – including (carefully) in the water at beaches and lakes. I’ve even taken the NEX, alongside my 5D 35mm L kit, into the photo pit during a recent concert at the new Austin City Limits Live venue and due to the fun factor, ended up using the NEX exclusively.

5910430805_27cd7c8127_b.jpg

5910429555_9e9d0ce64d_b.jpg

Focusing is something you have to work at but after just a bit of practice I am finding it easy, enjoyable even, to focus manually at waist level. I also find that subjects tend to ignore you much more if you work in this manner as opposed to raising the camera to eye level, resulting in the opportunity to capture great candids.

And if you are a novice or have poor eyesight and are wary of manual focusing on an LCD screen, especially in daylight, Sony might have the solution for you. As of Firmware v4, a new feature called Peaking has been added to the camera functionality. Peaking has been around for quite a while but it has been used traditionally for focusing on video cameras. Sony has applied this technology to still shots with good results. Basically, the camera will display a thin colored or white outline to any subject that it determines through contrast detection to be in focus. It works well when lenses are stopped down to f/4 or higher, allowing you to very quickly achieve accurate focus. For wider apertures, the feature is hit or miss but it will also work in the zoomed MF assist mode, where it is usually right on.

5910987904_2d6922b413_b.jpg

5910987112_e600b5b9d3_b.jpg

5910987498_2fbefa5cee_b.jpg

Beyond the Peaking feature, the experience of simply composing and focusing on the amazing Sony LCD screen is something that needs to be mentioned. With the tilt screen, the shooter has the ability to hold the camera close to their body at waist level in a very stable position while viewing what is essentially comparable to a traditional ground glass viewfinder on a medium format camera. There is something special about viewing a scene on a large, bright screen and the NEX LCD is one of the best on the market. On the ‘Sunny” setting, it is bright enough to use at the beach and it can even be configured to view in B/W (with Peaking enabled, this combination makes for a high contrast, easy to focus solution). Furthermore, shoot in RAW and gain the ability to view in B/W on the LCD but edit in color.

5910986292_9283c89d38_b.jpg

5910986538_da7246cccf_b.jpg

5910986204_5a5d7c9523_b.jpg

No doubt that this setup is not the end all in the quest for small camera/high IQ/low cost, but for now, it has won a spot near the top of my camera bag and I highly recommend it to anyone who is either looking for a low cost solution or who would like to take a step back from pixel peeping and enjoy a care free, creative shooting experience.

Chad Wadsworth is a photographer based in Austin,TX. His live music and band portraiture has been published in SPIN Magazine, Rolling Stone and Blender. He also shoots editorial work for various Texas and national monthlies. You can get a sneak peak at his soon to be published new website at Chad Wadsworth or at Show Performance Photography. -Amin

5910985968_a8f5680b9d_b.jpg

Please help support SeriousCompacts.com by using one of these links prior to your next purchase:

B&H Photo | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.ca | Adorama

Your price is unaffected, and a referral fee (2-4% of your purchase) is paid to us by the retailer.

Note: For us to get credit for the referral, you must click our link prior to placing any items in your "shopping cart".

Those pictures look amazing. I had kind of dismissed the Sony after playing with one of the NEX5's when they first came out and I hated the controls, but people are raving about them and I'm blown away by the pictures you've just posted. They look like they were shot on film. Simply gorgeous.

You've sold me. Great pictures, Chad. I particularly like the color ones. Like your writing style very much - personal and yet very interesting to me. Never could I imagine myself being able to use a manual focus but with the look you've gotten with this combination, boy it's awfully enticing.

When I used Don AKA Streetshooter's NEX5 pre recent firmware update, for a mere 30 minute walk...I was entranced.

Many thanks for feeding the fires.:rolleyes::D

The results speak for themselves here. Certainly a great and inexpensive tool in the right hands.

Is that lens the one from Hong Kong where you have to buy the adapter separately from the same folk for another $8 or so? Like the look of what you've got, this could be fun! Although I'm supposed to be doing the "Single In" thingy and not buying stuff. But it's only £25 inc adapter and postage!

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed this mini-review.

Don't be put off by the manual focus on the 35mm 1.7 - especially given the low cost. When you shoot this type of lens, focus almost becomes secondary to the effect. Also, in bright light you can shoot at f/8-16 and still get an interesting look with plenty of room to nail focus easily.

I'll dig up the eBay link for anyone interested - adapter was included, it shipped from NY and customer service was good.

Here it it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330549594041&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

5 available!!! EDIT 4 available - they started with 6 when I posted, who here bought one? :)

Best,
Chad

I like posts like this - it helps curb your GAS. :D

Great job, thanks! :2thumbs:

Hah, thanks. Yeah, we all get it, present company included.

I think I'm getting to a point where I have it marginally under control. The key is buying tools that provide something unique to your arsenal. Do I really need 5 compact film cameras that all have a fast fixed lens in the 35-40mm range? Probably not.

You've sold me. Great pictures, Chad. I particularly like the color ones. Like your writing style very much - personal and yet very interesting to me. Never could I imagine myself being able to use a manual focus but with the look you've gotten with this combination, boy it's awfully enticing.

When I used Don AKA Streetshooter's NEX5 pre recent firmware update, for a mere 30 minute walk...I was entranced.

Many thanks for feeding the fires.:rolleyes::D

I think I saw those images from your walk and they were very impressive. You won't have any problem fooling around with the MF on this lens. It is fun! Just use the Force (basically what I do) and you'll get close enough for some great images.

Those pictures look amazing. I had kind of dismissed the Sony after playing with one of the NEX5's when they first came out and I hated the controls, but people are raving about them and I'm blown away by the pictures you've just posted. They look like they were shot on film. Simply gorgeous.

I did the same - completely dismissed it!

Now that I'm a fan, I'm of the impression that the sensor is completely underutilized by the current Sony AF lenses. Every time I put on an M-mount lens or even this little C-Mount 35mm, I'm reminded how good it really is. I shot legacy glass on the m4/3 platform and it was excellent but in my opinion, the NEX sensor is superior.

But m4/3 is still where it is at for AF interchangeable, especially with the shiny new models - at least until that Zeiss 24mm and the NEX 7 come out.

Thanks for this review. The writing was excellent and the images were top-notch. I enjoyed reading it so much that it inspired me to get out and make a few images myself. I'm considering picking this lens up as the fun factor with it looks too good to pass up.

:cool: maxamedia...who I am assuming is also known as Steve Lang. I'm glad you brought this thread back up...because I loved the combination when our pal Chad Wadsworth AKA 123compact! first brought it to "our" attention. Oh the enjoyment of multiple lenses and all that they offer!(y)

Back