Sony Accessorizing the Sony RX100 to Make it Comfortable in Use

Amin

Hall of Famer
I have medium sized hands, and the nude Sony RX100 wasn't very comfortable to use. Two accessories have changed things dramatically for the better.

The first is Richard Franiec's grip. [Disclosure: Richard gave me a review unit to keep]. I had serious concerns about this grip spoiling the minimalistic beauty of the RX100, but having now applied it, I have to say that the combination remains very attractive. The finished texture of the Franiec grip is nicely matched to that of the RX100, and the overall look remains clean. More importantly I cannot overstate the improvement to the handling, while the size and weight of the camera are - for all practical purposes - unchanged.

8162767291_fcb2d735f1.jpg

The Franiec grip costs $34.95 plus shipping and was well worth the price, but there's a second accessory which has had an equally significant impact when it comes to improving the handling of my RX100. That would be the little red stick-on Gariz soft release button.

I use these soft release buttons on virtually all my Micro 4/3 and smaller cameras. Not only do they allow me to handhold more comfortably; they also help me to avoid camera shake as I trigger the shutter. This picture shows how it works in practice:

8162760331_e52251d2bf.jpg

As you can see, I use the inside of my first knuckle to squeeze down the soft release. Much more comfortable and natural than curling my finger to push the shutter release button with the fingertip.

The Gariz buttons adhere using 3M double sided tape, and I've found the attachment to be very secure. A pair of them (black and red) will set you back about $12.

A few additional views:

8162767075_8c131db350.jpg

8162799082_706994e19b.jpg

8162766665_49070db8a2.jpg

What are those marks?

Thanks for that.

What are those marks on the ring on the outside of the lens? Are they something you added and what is their function?

Briar said:
Hi Amin

How do you secure the grip?

The grip comes with 3M VHB backing tape in place. You just clean the camera, peel the backing off the tape, and press the grip in place.

I think I recall that you originally didn't want the Franiec grip, so then the question is the sculpting of it is well fitted to your grasp and do you think it would be for various hand sizes? The Gariz button is great, thanks for that link. Have a few cameras I wanted soft release on but weren't threaded for it so I will be ordering those. The adhesive is good yes? They say it is much better to roll your finger over the shutter than to pop it with your fingertip but that is of course provided you have enough button to do that with, the soft release makes that possible.

I think I recall that you originally didn't want the Franiec grip, so then the question is the sculpting of it is well fitted to your grasp and do you think it would be for various hand sizes?

The reason I didn't want the grip was that I thought it might ruin the looks of the camera. I still think the camera looks better without it, but it still looks good with it. It's definitely well shaped to suit my grasp, and I think that would be true for any hand size.

The Gariz button is great, thanks for that link. Have a few cameras I wanted soft release on but weren't threaded for it so I will be ordering those. The adhesive is good yes?

It's been good on all my cameras so far. I use alcohol pads to make sure there is no oil residue on the camera button before I apply the Gariz button. With a little camera going in and out of a tight pocket repeatedly, I suppose it could happen, but I tend to use bags or loose pockets. Haven't had a problem with any of them coming off after that.

When I had an RX100, I had the Franiac grip and liked it a lot - improved the handling of the camera immensely. And the completely flat with the surface of the camera shutter button was something I never got used to at all, so a soft-release would have been an excellent addition to this camera. I have screw-in soft releases on my Fuji cams, but have never tried an adhesive based one. The release button on my OMD is more than fine as is, but I'm gonna have to keep those adhesive soft releases in mind for future reference...

-Ray

Thanks for the post and photos. I have been wondering if the Gariz button would hold up and would reduce the slippery feeling to the shutter button on my EM5 and PL5. Do you think the button will hold up to being put in/out of a camera bag often?

Thanks for the post and photos. I have been wondering if the Gariz button would hold up and would reduce the slippery feeling to the shutter button on my EM5 and PL5. Do you think the button will hold up to being put in/out of a camera bag often?

They have held up on all my cameras. As I said above, just make sure there is no oil/residue on the shutter release button before you apply them.

They have held up on all my cameras. As I said above, just make sure there is no oil/residue on the shutter release button before you apply them.

Just received mine and have to say I love it. I have always shot with a soft release and really missed it when I picked up the RX100. It never occurred to me that they would have stick ons! Thanks for the heads up Amin.

Back